DID YOU KNOW?
New York State Has A New
This applies to you if you're required to withhold New York State income tax
and your payroll expense exceeds $2,500 in any calendar quarter.
The Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax is a new tax imposed
on certain employers engaging in business within the Metropolitan Commuter
Transportation District (MCTD). The MCTD consists of the five boroughs of New
York City and the counties of Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk
Click here to find the MCTD requirements.
- Employers: 34% of an employer's payroll expense for
employees employed within the MCTD
- Employers other than public school districts: March 1,
- Public school districts: September 1, 2009
- Individuals: Tax years beginning on or after January 1,
2009 (calculated on 10/12 of your net-earnings from self-employment allocated
to the MCTD for the 2009 tax year)
Initial payment for 2009
Employers (other than employers required to file through the Promptax program)
- Due date: November 2, 2009
- Initial payment period: March 1, 2009 - September 30,
2009. Public schools have a different initial payment period: September 1,
2009 - September 30, 2009.
Employers who are required withholding tax Promptax filers (other than public
- Due date: Same date their 1st withholding tax Promptax
payment is due on or after October 31, 2009.
- Initial payment period: March 1, 2009 through and including
the payroll date for which the Promptax payment was made.
For more information:
Go to: http://www.tax.state.ny.us/sbc/mta.htm
Email LTtax at: firstname.lastname@example.org